Seoul says Japan must acknowledge majority of Korean public cannot accept landmark agreement

 

The United Nations is downplaying its Secretary-General’s comments supporting the flawed Seoul-Tokyo agreement on wartime sex slavery issue. In response, Korea’s foreign ministry stated the two sides should work to overcome the issue wisely. Connie Kim has the full story.

The United Nations is clarifying Japanese media reports that say the UN Secretary-General has expressed support for a landmark agreement between Seoul and Tokyo over Japan’s wartime sex slavery issue. On the sidelines of the G7 summit in Italy, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe had stressed the importance of complying with the deal while Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said he supports and welcomes it. Responding to such reports, a UN spokesperson said Guterres agrees this is a matter to be solved by an agreement between the two countries. The Secretary General did not pronounce himself on the content of the agreement but on the principle that is up to both Korea and Japan to define the nature and the content of the solution for this issue.

Under a new administration, Seoul’s foreign ministry has for the first time stated its stance on the matter: that the two governments should overcome the problem wisely through joint efforts acknowledging the fact that the majority of the public doesn’t approve the agreement. This is in echo of President Moon Jae-in’s basic stance on the accord, which he underscored during his first phone conversation with his Japanese counterpart.

And to support the new Korean administration’s push, the UN Committee against Torture this month recommended revising the deal pointing that it failed to “provide redress and repatriation” including compensation to the victims. Japan has rebutted the recommendation claiming the deal is final and irreversible and there is no evidence the victims were forced into sexual slavery, raising speculation the historical issue between the two sides will not be solved easily.

 

 

유엔은 결함투성이인 한일 위안부 합의에 대한 유엔사무총장 발언에 대해 해명했습니다. 이에 대해 외교부는 한일 양국이 현명하게 극복하기 위해 협력해야 한다고 밝혔습니다. Connie Kim기자가 전해드립니다.

유엔 측은 일본 언론이 보도한 유엔총장의 한일 위안부 합의 지지에 대해 해명했습니다 이탈리아에서 열린 G7 정상회담에서 유엔 총장과 따로 회동을 가진 아베 일본총리는 “한·일 양국이 합의를 준수하는 게 중요하다”고 강조했고 안토니우 구테흐스 유엔 사무총장은 “합의를 지지하고 환영한다”고 밝혔습니다. 이에 대해 유엔 대변인은 구테흐스 총장이 한일 간 합의에 따라 해결할 사안이라는 데 동의했다”고 밝혔습니다. 구테흐스 총장은 합의 내용에 대해 동의한 것이 아니라 위안부 해법의 성격과 내용을 규정하는 것은 한일 양국에 달렸다는 원칙에 동의한 것” 이라고 말했습니다.

문재인 정권이 들어서면서 외교부는 이 건에 대해 처음으로 입장을 밝혔습니다. 외교부는 “한국 국민들의 대다수가 위안부 합의를 수용하지 못하는 사실을 일본이 받아들이고 협력을 통해 한일 양국이 이 문제를 현명하게 대처해야 한다”고 밝혔습니다. 이는 문재인 대통령이 아베 총리와의 첫 전화통화에서 강조한 위안부 합의안에 기본적인 입장을 재확인한 것입니다.

문재인 정부의 공약을 뒷받침 하듯이 이번 달 유엔 고문방지위원회는 “한일 합의는 위안부 피해자들에 대한 보상 및 배상이 불충분하다”며 한일 합의 내용의 개정을 권고했습니다. 하지만 일본은 위안부 합의는 최종적이고 불가역적이며 일본군의 위안부 강제연행 증거는 발견되지 않았다며 위원회의 권고를 묵살했습니다. 이에 따라 한일 양국의 합의는 쉽게 해결되지 않을 것으로 보입니다.

Advertisements

Chinese tourists to Korea fell 47% in April y/y, but overall numbers rise

 

April was good month for South Korea’s tourism industry. According to data from the transport ministry on Sunday, some 8.7 million foreign tourists visited the nation last month up roughly 3.8  percent from a year earlier. Tourists from China declined by almost half on-year: from 1.7 million to just 900,000. That can be chalked up to Seoul’s decision to deploy THAAD. The U.S. anti-missile system deemed a necessary protection against Pyongyang’s threats is perceived as a security threat by Beijing, leading China to carry out retaliation measures including a virtual travel ban to South Korea. But the boost in visitors from Japan and Southeast Asian nations easily made up for that loss.

 

 

 

4 한중 여행객 47% 감소에도 전체 관광객 늘어나

한국관광업계에 있어 4월은 나쁘지 않았습니다. 국토교통부 자료에 따르면 전년 동월대비 약 3.8% 늘어난 870만명의 외국 관광객들이 한국을 찾았습니다. 1년 기준으로 중국 관광객들은 170만명에서 90만명으로 거의 절반이 감소했습니다. 고고도 미사일 방어체계 (사드) 배치로 중국 관광객이 감소했기 때문입니다. 중국은 북한의 위협을 막기 위한 사드 배치를 중국에 대한 안보 위협으로 간주하고 있으며 가상여행을 포함해 한국 관광을 전면 금지시키는 경제보복을 했습니다. 하지만 일본 및 동남아시아 관광객 증가로 중국 관광객 감소를 상쇄했습니다.

美 트럼프 대통령, 몬테네그로 총리 밀치고 제일 앞줄에

トランプ大統領 モンテネグロ首相押しのけ写真撮影の最前列に

 北大西洋条約機構の首脳会議では、首脳たちが一団となって歩いて写真撮影の準備をしていたとき、アメリカのトランプ大統領がモンテネグロの首相を押しのける様子が捉えられ、各国メディアが大きく伝えています。

映像では、トランプ大統領が、前を歩いていたモンテネグロのマルコビッチ首相の右腕に手を掛けて押しのけ、自分が最前列に立ったあと、何事もなかったように上着を整えている様子が確認できます。

 

트럼프 대통령, 몬테네그로 총리 밀치고 제일 앞줄에

북대서양조약기구 (NATO, 나토) 정상회담에서 정상들이 함께 이동하며, 단체사진촬영을 준비하고 있을 때 미국의 트럼프 대통령이 몬테네그로 총리를 밀치는 모습이 포착돼 각국 언론이 크게 보도했습니다.

영상에서는 트럼프 대통령이 앞을 걷고 있는 몬테네그로의 마르코비치 총리의 오른팔을 손으로 걸고 밀쳐 자신이 가장 앞줄에 서자, 아무 일도 없었던 것처럼 옷매무새를 가다듬고 있는 모습을 확인할 수 있습니다.

 

  1. 北大西洋条約機構(きたたいせいようじょうやくきこう)북대서양조약기구
  2. 首脳会議(しゅのうかいぎ)정상회담
  3. 一団(いちだん)となって 무리를 지어
  4. 写真撮影(しゃしんさつえい)사진촬영
  5. 押しのける(おしのける)밀다
  6. 捉えられる(とらえられる)포착되다
  7. 映像(えいぞう)영상
  8. 右腕(みぎうで)오른팔
  9. 最前列(さいぜんれつ)맨앞
  10. 何事(なにごと)もない 아무 일도 없다

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20170526/k10010995731000.html?utm_int=news-international_contents_list-items_007

 

 

National Assembly committee to decide on adopting report for PM nominee

 

A National Assembly committee is set to decide today on whether to accept a report on the results of prime minister nominee Lee Nak-yon’s confirmation hearing. Headed by a lawmaker from the ruling Democratic Party of Korea, the 13-member panel will discuss the matter from two p.m. Korea time. If the committee decides to adopt the report, Lee’s nomination will be put up for a full floor vote during a regular session scheduled for next Monday, May 29th. Cooperation from the opposition parties is key as the appointment requires consent from a majority of lawmakers in the 300-seat assembly. The ruling Democratic Party of Korea is a couple of dozen seats short of that.

 

 

 

인사청문특별위원회는 이낙연 국무총리 후보자 인사청문회 심사경과 보고서 채택 문제를 논의할 예정입니다. 더불어민주당 의원이 이끄는 13명의 청문위원은 한국시간으로 오늘 오후 2시부터 이 건에 대해 논의할 예정입니다. 위원회가 청문보고서를 채택하면 다음주 월요일인 29일 본회의 때 인준안 표결에 들어가게 됩니다. 국무총리 임명은 총 300명의 재적의원 중 과반수가 찬성해야 하기 때문에 야당의 협조가 필수적입니다. 여당인 더불어민주당은 과반에서 약 30석이 부족합니다.

 

Daughter of Choi Soon-sil to be extradited as she drops her appeal in Denmark

A key, but as yet elusive figure in the massive corruption scandal that rocked Korea for months will finally be heading back to Korea. The daughter of the woman at the heart of the scandal will be repatriated to Korea from Denmark within a month. This as Chung Yoo-ra dropped her appeal on Wednesday. Kim Hyo-sun reports.

Danish prosecutors have confirmed that Chung Yoo-ra, the daughter of Choi Soon-sil, a central figure in the recent political scandal that led to the ousting of former President Park Geun-hye, will be returning to South Korea. This comes as Chung, who was arrested in Denmark in January, dropped an appeal of her extradition case on Wednesday. The independent counsel in Korea investigating the scandal had asked Chung to voluntarily return to Seoul from Denmark, where she was caught hiding. When she rejected that, Danish prosecutors ordered Chung be repatriated to Korea, which is when she filed an appeal with a district court. The court dismissed the appeal, and Chung was awaiting her appeal hearing in Denmark’s High Court in early June.

However, it looks like she changed her mind considering there’s a slim chance her appeal would be successful, and also considering the recent change of government in Korea. Although the exact date of her repatriation has yet to be decided, Danish authorities will likely send Chung back within a month. Upon her arrival, Chung will face investigation on charges including her unjust admission to Ewha Woman’s University and receiving bribes from Samsung.

 

 

 

대한민국을 수개월간 뒤흔든 국정농단 사건의 주요 인물이자 해외로 도피한 정유라씨가 국내로 송환됩니다. 최순실 씨의 딸 정 씨는 덴마크로부터 한 달 안에 국내로 송환될 것으로 보입니다. 정 씨가 지난 수요일 항소심을 자진철회 했기 때문입니다. 김효선 기자가 보도합니다.

덴마크 검찰은 박근혜 전 대통령을 탄핵으로 이끈 국정농단 사건의 핵심 인물인 최순실 씨의 딸 정유라 씨가 한국으로 송환될 것이라고 전했습니다. 지난 1월 덴마크에서 체포된 정 씨가 송환 항소심을 자진 철회했기 때문입니다. 국정농단 사건을 담당한 특검은 덴마크에서 체포된 정 씨의 자진 입국을 요구했습니다. 하지만 정 씨가 이를 거부하자 덴마크 검찰은 강제송환을 진행했고 정 씨는 지방법원에 송환불복 소송을 제기했습니다. 지방법원은 정 씨의 소송을 기각했고 정 씨는 6월 초에 예정된 고등법원 항소심을 기다리고 있었습니다.

하지만 고등법원의 항소심이 뒤집힐 가능성은 희박하고 최근 한국의 정권이 교체 되었기 때문에 정 씨는 생각을 바꾼 것으로 보입니다. 정확한 송환 날짜는 결정되지 않았지만 덴마크 당국에서는 정 씨를 한 달 안에 한국으로 보낼 것으로 보입니다. 입국 즉시 정 씨는 이화여대 부정입학과 삼성으로부터 뇌물수수 혐의 등의 조사를 받게 됩니다.

 

 

Military identifies flying object near DMZ as balloon carrying leaflets

 

The South Korean military has revealed that the “unidentified object” it shot at on Tuesday as it crossed the DMZ was a helium-filled balloon carrying propaganda leaflets from the North. The Joint Chiefs of Staff says the military fired scores of rounds at the object. The balloon was just one of around ten that were floating across the DMZ. It’s believed several of them made it across the military demarcation line. Military officials admit bad weather conditions made it difficult to identify the object at first, but they say the soldiers acted swiftly and in accordance with military protocol.

 

 

 

우리 군은 전날 비무장지대를 넘어온 미확인 비행 물체가 북한의 대남전단 살포용 풍선이었다고 밝혔습니다. 합동참모본부에 따르면 우리 군은 이 비행 물체를 향해 기관총을 발포했다고 전했습니다. 비무장지대를 넘어온 약 열 개 정도의 풍선 중 하나로 보인다고 밝혔습니다. 이 중 수 개의 풍선이 군사분계선 (MDL)를 넘어 온 것으로 보인다고 전했습니다. 군 관계자는 기상관계로 식별에 어려움이 있었지만 우리 군은 작전절차에 따라 발 빠르게 대처했다고 밝혔습니다.

South Korean military fires warning shots at unidentified object near border

The South Korean military fired warning shots at an “unidentified object” flying across the DMZ from North Korea on Tuesday afternoon. The Joint Chiefs of Staff says the object, which may have been a drone, was detected in in the eastern province of Gangwon-do at around 4 p.m. local time. Sources say almost 100 machine gun rounds were fired at the object. The South Korean military says it’s analyzing the object and its route and has strengthened its air defense posture.

 

 

우리 군은 화요일 오후 북한에서 비무장지대를 넘어 날아온 미확인 비행 물체를 향해 경고사격을 했습니다. 합동참모본부는 무인기로 추정되는 이 비행 물체가 한국시간으로 오후 4시에 강원도 철원지역에서 포착됐다고 전했습니다. 소식통에 따르면 우리 군은 이 비행 물체를 향해 기관총 100대 가까이 쏜 것으로 알려졌습니다. 우리 군은 이 비행체의 정체와 행방을 분석하고 있으며 대공 감시를 강화했습니다.