Round-up: Today’s top stories in the morning papers in Korea (October 31, 2016)
1. South Korean police give an unprecedented report about a candlelight vigil, saying, “It was an illegal demonstration, but we appreciate the nation’s cooperation.” The police also mentioned about what Jongno Police Station chief said the other day in the mass media, saying, “please show mature civil awareness in the assembly as we are aware of your concern for the nation.”
South Korean police finally came to their senses as Cheong Wa Dae or Choi Soon-sil could not comment on anything. However, why don’t police get rid of the word “illegal?”
2. A teenage girl statue of Japan’s wartime sex slavery that moves forward confidently with clenching her fists was erected in Bupyeong Park in Incheon where Japanese army stationed during Japanese colonial period. The statue which was launched in June was created by the Promotion Committee by fundraising 90 million won.
South Korea will have another statue in front of the Japanese consulate in Dong-gu in Busan. This is the general trend.
돗토리에서 진도6 미만의 지진, 각지의 원전은 모두 이상 없음
추고쿠 전력에 따르면 진도4의 흔들림을 관측한 마츠시의 시마네 원자력발전소는 현재 운행을 정지했으며, 이번 지진에 의한 이상은 없다고 밝혔습니다. 또한 시코쿠 전력에 따르면 진도3의 흔들림을 관측한 에히메 현 이카쵸에있는 이카 원자력 발전소는 현재 3호기가 운행 중이지만 이번 지진에 의한 이상은 없으며 계속 운행 중이라고 합니다. 또한 후쿠이 현 원자력발전소와 연계된 간사이 전력, 일본 원자력발전, 일본 원자력 연구개발기구에 따르면 후쿠이 현의 원전은 지진에 의한 영향은 없다고 합니다.
China’s yuan has officially joined the elite club of reserve currencies, marking a milestone for the Chinese government’s campaign for recognition as a global economic power. The yuan on Saturday joined the U.S. dollar, the euro, the yen and British pound in the IMF’s so-called “special drawing rights” or SDR basket, which determines currencies that countries can receive as part of IMF loans.
The People’s Bank of China hailed the inclusion, saying it’s an affirmation of the success of China’s economic development and results of the reform and opening up of the financial sector. The bank added that China will use the opportunity to further deepen economic reforms and open up the sector to promote global growth. The IMF announced last year that it would add the yuan to the SDR basket, so the inclusion is not expected to shake up financial markets.
중국의 위안화가 엘리트 준비통화 그룹에 정식으로 편입되면서 경제대국으로 인정받기 위한 중국의 노력에 이정표를 세웠습니다. 지난 토요일 위안화는 미국 달러, 유로, 엔화, 영국 파운드로 구성된 국제통화기금 (IMF)의 특별인출권(SDR 바스켓)에 편입했으며 국가들이 국제통화기금 (IMF)로부터 론을 받을 때 통화로서 선택할 수 있습니다.
중국인민은행은 위안화 편입을 자축하면서 이는 중국의 경제성장, 개혁성과, 금융시장 개방에 대한 성공의 확인이라고 자평했습니다. 또한 인민은행은 중국은 이 기회를 향후 경제개혁 심화와 글로벌 성장을 위한 금융개방 확대에 이용할 것이라고 밝혔습니다. IMF는 이미 지난해 위안화의 SDR 바스켓 편입이 있을 것을 발표했으며 따라서 이번 편입에 의한 금융시장의 대대적 개편은 없을 것으로 예상됩니다.
Round-up: Today’s top stories in the morning papers in Korea (October 28, 2016)
1. College students in Busan demonstrated against South Korean President Park Geun-hye, demanding for her resignation when Ms Park visited the city after she apologized to the nation about “Choi Soon-sil Gate.” Park visited outside of Cheong Wa Dae after three days since she apologized to the nation on the 25th.
Why did the president visit Busan? Did Choi tell Park to visit the city?
2. About 70% of public opinion says President Park Geun-hye should resign or face impeachment for holding responsible for Choi Soon-sil gate. While 37.9% respondents say “The president should herself resign,” 31.1% respondents say “The National Assembly should lead the impeachment.”
Are 70% who believe the president should resign abnormal? Alternatively, are 30% who think the president should maintain her position abnormal?
Round-up: Today’s top stories in the morning papers in Korea (October 27, 2016)
1. Various online communities including conservative “Ilbe” was against South Korean President Park Geun-hye as online users continue to post on impeachment. Netizens with conservative tendency argued that the president inflicted internal damage on conservative camp broke the order of state with next presidential election ahead.
She must be very lonely by now. She may maintain her position because she has her secret confidant.
2. Experts warn that the so-called “low carb and high fat diet” which leads to a shortage of butter may have a harmful effect on public health. Five professional societies relating to medical and health issued a joint statement that it is difficult to maintain long-term weight loss and is likely to cause health and nutrition problems.
People and nations maintain their health with a balanced life. Someone needs to be taught.
Round-up: Today’s top stories in the morning papers in Korea (October 26, 2016)
1. South Korean President urgently held a press conference and apologized to the nation over Choi Soon-sil, an alleged secret heavyweight with influence over the presidential office. However, the president mentioned nothing about the investigation to find truth involving Choi’s allegations after the apology.
She frequently mentioned about procedures for investigation. Did she also ask Choi to edit statement of apology?
2. The report about the alleged secret heavyweight with influence over the presidential office, hit political circle in South Korea, as Choi Soon-sil was given access to the President Park’s 44 drafts of speech before it was publicly delivered. South Korea’s opposition parties argue that Ms Park should either resign or face impeachment.
Think about what happened to the former President Roh Moo-hyun. She should face impeachment.
Round-up: Today’s top stories in the morning papers in Korea (October 25, 2016)
1. Cheong Wa Dae remained silent as a news reported that Choi Soon-sil, an alleged secret heavyweight with influence over the presidential office, was given access to South Korean President Park Geun-hye’s speech. There is circumstantial evidence about Choi’s involvement after presidential officials denied rumors on Friday that Choi edited the presidential speech, saying, “This is hardly possible, even during the feudal time.”
Park should be called an invocatory rite of a would-be medium instead of receiving force from the universe. The state of Korea is in shambles.
2. Jeong Yoo-ra, Choi Soon sil’s daughter, posted a pregnancy ultrasound photo on her Facebook, saying, “It has been already 25 weeks.” and deleted the post later that Jeong is likely to give birth to a baby as soon as she entered the University. If the post is true, this explains why she has been absent first semester of the first college year.
I feel like I am reading a tabloid called “Sunday Seoul” during the 1970s.
3. The Japanese government expressed disappointment, saying, “It is extremely regrettable.” Chief Cabinet Secretary Suga added that it is important to show a willingness to work on the common issues facing the international community in a future-oriented manner, instead of focusing on the unfortunate history of the past.
There is no future without forgiveness.